Thursday, November 10, 2005

Focus

There is nothing like a computer down to galvanize me. I'm not saying thats a purely good thing as sometimes you need to let go but it is good to know what motivates you.

In this case I couldn't post to the blog (easily), check email (while sitting down), play Q4 (at least not at home) or have the satisfaction of knowing this project was going to work out. I'm referring to the BriefCase of course. I made it as far as I could with the old MB as a template before having to commit, tear down the new PC and make sure that all the bits would fit with no interference. That's basically the point of no return as I'd already built that machine once only to pull it apart for this project--I certainly didn't want to do it again just because I wasn't making progress on the new case quick enough. Time to focus.

I forged ahead and am pleased to report that I'm posting from the newly assembled 'portable' workstation. Portable becuase I just took it upstairs all latched up and showed my partner Claire my handywork. She was suitably impressed. Unfortunately I'm now very tired and so won't be pausing to take any pictures of the current state of affairs. That's OK as I'm not actually quite done. I need to mount an exhaust fan somewhere so that it doesn't boil slowly (quickly?) in it's own juices if I were to shut the lid (it's running wide open at the moment.

I did manage to take some in progress pictures last night but was unable to post them. Here they are. You be the judge--did I make good time?

The MB tray in the box:



The donor aluminum case I picked up for $35:



So far the ATX support and drive cages have been pillaged. I'm uncertain if I'll use the power switch assembly but it did come with a ducted fan that looks like it will suit this application well.

I'll post tomorrow when I can prove that it will run safely with the lid latched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home