Monday, October 24, 2005

Self

A blog has always struck me a little self centred. Not that that's a bad thing as many of us could use a little self attention, self care, and self expression. It seems on the surface that the latter item is the point of a blog but for me it's about the exercise of self expression to promote self attention and hopefully self care in ourselves and our audience. I know that other bloggers have prompted me to the examine and change my behaviours to my own benefit and hopefully to others as well. A worthwhile effort.

A blog is somewhat riskier than a diary. A diary is generally believed to be the private property of the individual authoring the document. An audience of one. A blog has by nature an audience of at least one, and at most the entire population of the earth (perhaps beyond?). Certainly a public forum, a soapbox in text form. I've never felt the need to record my thoughts in a diary. Perhaps the self awareness it would afford didn't seem worth it--although that directly contradicts some of my more conscious beliefs about self and an individual's impact on the others.

I think small. A small improvement or impression in one direction can yield grand results when allowed to grow to fruition. Good ideas need room to germinate. Perhaps that's the point of a blog--or blogs en mass. Many small good ideas tossed out so that the particularly good ones will stick.

Certainly the people I know who blog have many good ideas.

The fact that I'm bloggin' means I think there is a point.

Will the effort will prove to be worth it?

We'll see. I think it will be.

Feedback is welcome. I'm more engaging in a conversation than a monologue.

[Ironic that when I spellcheck this entry the word 'blog' shows up as suspect.]

1 Comments:

At 11:35 p.m. EST, Blogger clairification said...

A blog may be riskier than a diary in the sense that you might inadvertently expose something private to the world. But in a diary you take more risks, because you know beyond a doubt no one is watching. (In my diary there are all kinds of poems, for instance.)
It's up to you to find the balance, but the thing is, people won't want to read it if you're too careful.
So spill, baby, spill...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home